Wednesday 7 March 2007

Cyclists

I enjoy cycling, so it annoys me when I see an idiot on a bike.
The ones who insist on cycling down the road, when there's a perfectly good cycle path. They slow down the traffic, usually wear dark clothing and have no lights.
The news always makes out that the motorist is wrong when they knock someone off their bike. I've come so close to doing it myself that I know that most of the time the poor driver never had a chance.
Adults who believe it's safer to ride on the footpath. They don't take into consideration the poor pedestrian. I'm usually accompanied by two dogs, so cyclists on the footpath cause complete mayhem. The old dog is fine, but the puppy is only 9 months old, therefore still being trained. One of these days I'll be taken by surprise by a cyclist coming from behind and she's going to end up in a nasty tangle on the ground. She just wants to lick everyone she meets, but you wouldn't think so from the leaping about and noise.
I agree that very small children should be allowed to cycle on the footpath, provided they are carefully supervised. Anyone over the age of 5 should be on the road, wearing bright clothes and with approved reflectors and lights on their bike.
This photo shows the difference reflective clothing can make:

It's cheap, effective and could save your life. If you ride a bike on the highway, be seen!

No comments: